[LAU] Actually a Korg M1 data dump question: Decoding files that begin "00 10 00 3C"

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 21:06:55 CEST 2021

Hi,

I've gotten it into my head to try to try to decode some files from 30
years ago and see if I can extract enough MIDI -- and perhaps,
instrument modifications -- to be able to approximately recreate the
audio on Linux.

The files were created from a program I wrote and have long since
forgotten. Using the old Korg M1 manual, helpfully scanned in by Korg,
I've been able to determine that most of the files start with the
"exclusive header" and can be categorized as to which type of dump
they are. From there, I should be able to break apart the data.

However, I have a several files with the extension ".sng", which would
suggest "song", but the opening bytes are not the "exclusive header"
but rather, in hex are:

"00 10 00 3C" followed by a list of 16-byte ASCII strings containing
instrument names (followed, for a while by mostly 00000000 and/or
FFFFFFFF before getting to something a bit more variable)

Skimming through I also eventually see what appears to be a "song
title" in ASCII.

Is anyone familiar with what type of beasties these files are, and is
there a good spec for the format?

Thanks.

P.S. (I only had access to the M1's for one semester, and the code was
written on the school's Atari ST-1040, which I'd never seen before nor
have I used one since.)