[LAU] 3.5mm microphone into audio interface?

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 13:24:03 CEST 2021

David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> writes:

> Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 12:25:09PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks to Jeanette and Fons for their help.  Now please one more question:
>>> I've got two such 3.5mm jack stereo microphones:
>>>
>>>  https://www.amazon.it/...  etc
>>
>> The link describes this as a MONO omnidirectional mic.

I said it was stereo because, when I record with it, the rsulting .wav file is
2-channel.  Then I concluded it was stereo.

>> Now is the link is wrong, and this is indeed a stereo mic with a single
>> 3.5mm jack, you need more than the Rode adapters. You will also need
>> adapters to split the single jack into two. The result would not be very
>> reliable....

What I want is, say, 4 different mono channels.  For example, if it's a string
quartet, each instrument should have its own microphone and the resulting track
should be mono.  If it is a piano record, I want two microphones, one for
mid-trebles and one for mid-bass, 2 mono channels.  If it's voice and piano, I
want 3 mono channels and so on.  Do you think it'll be all right with the
Behringer UMC404HD and that microphone of mine plus adapter?  That microphone
is nice for its lightness too.

>> If you really want to go into multichannel audio better buy something
>> of somewhat higher quality.
>
> In particular, using omnidirectional microphones for 4-channel audio is
> not likely to lead to a lot of differentiation unless you work with some
> clever arrangement of baffles.

What do you mean please by differentiation?

Thanks

Regards

Rodolfo