[LAU] 3.5mm microphone into audio interface?

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Sun Apr 11 15:13:12 CEST 2021

Am Sonntag, 11. April 2021, 15:00:49 CEST schrieb David Kastrup:
> Alf Haakon Pietruszka Lund <alf at mellomrommet.no> writes:

> >> Sure, but that still leaves you without plugin power.
> >
> > I see I missed a small but important point; these are condensator
> > mikes. Yikes...
>
> Yes and no: electret condenser.  They don't need phantom power for
> polarising the capacitor capsule as it comes prepolarised.  But they do
> need some power (typically 3V–6V) as plugin-power to power the built-in
> FET preamplifier without which the weak capsule signal would not make it
> through the microphone cable.
>
> The infamous Neewer BM800 can convert phantom power to plugin power and
> thus can be run on either depending on the cable type (while providing
> S/N ratios that are not impressive for either application).
>
> But a lot more typically, devices only work with one kind of power.  The
> kind of soundcard/computer providing 3.5mm TRS (or TS) microphone inputs
> tend to carry plugin power (sometimes switchable by software), XLR
> inputs tend to have an option for phantom power (almost always +48V
> these days), sometimes switchable in groups.

While I'm all for using better equipment, I wonder if this mic really needs phantom or plugin power (I don't even know that term)

If it's designed for a laptop headset jack, that wouldn't supply that either? It can probably get that power from USB.
Anyway, the Amazon product page talks about batteries, and I know that cheap and not so cheap (I had one by Sony) electret external stereo mics with mini-jack plug for home video cameras etc. existed long ago already.

Edgar