[LAU] Motu M64 Madi interface (not) class compliant?

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Sun Apr 18 00:23:31 CEST 2021

* Peter P. <peterparker at fastmail.com> [2021-03-12 18:43]:
> Hi list,
>
> can report that the Motu M64 Madi interface does work with a limited
> channel count of 24 for input and another 24 for output (instead of 64
> each). So if you are coming across a venue or employer that already has
> one, you are good to go. Sample rate needs to be set on the device
> before starting jack. Of course, buying the card for oneself for so much
> money getting only one third of the channels seems useless linux users
> IMHO.

I can add now that the card does not work reliably in class compliant
mode with external sync clocks. It will randomly switch back and forth
output channels in banks of eight, cause clicks and distortion and
aliasing artifacts. Note that Motu will not provide you with tech
support unless you register your product and use a special tech support
system, they refuse to provide tech support via email. I am trying to
avoid them as manufacturer in the future wherever I can.

best, Peter