[LAU] Open Sound Control: Is it still a thing?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Tue Apr 27 23:24:25 CEST 2021

On 4/27/21 10:49 AM, worik wrote:
> On 27/04/21 7:30 pm, Peter P. wrote:
>>> I am shopping for a mixer, I am a bit worried that the digital controls
>>> are a bit too propitiatory.  I do not want to get orphaned by a firm
>>> going out of business and letting its iPad App rot.  OSC looks like a
>>> solution, but it does not seem to be implemented by many vendors
>> Which mixers did you find so far that do allow OSC control?
>> I only know of some Behringer digital mixers.
>
> Yes some Behringer mixers.  That is a "no, OSC is not much of a thing"?

OSC is very much a thing for audio rendering cores requiring more
complex semantics than MIDI can offer.

https://www.astroaudio.eu/products/sara-2
https://www.dbaudio.com/global/en/products/processing-matrix/ds100/

DigiCo considers it relevant enough that they are implementing OSC
control capability of external devices on their desks:

https://digico.biz/digico-opens-up-the-sd-range-with-generic-osc-control/

As do LAWO and Avid, apparently.

Behringer mixers have been mentioned, but the extent to which it is
implemented is quite amazing, to the point where one of these is nice as
a studio hub even if you're not actually routing audio through it :o)

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/download/software/behringer/WING/BE-P0BV2-WING-OSC_Documentation.pdf

Software support for OSC is extensive.
If you wrap OSC in JSON, you are entitled to call it "Sennheiser Sound
Control" :-D

https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/12958/Sennheiser_Sound_Control_Protocol_Digital_9000_EN.pdf

In short: the stuff is a bit like Linux. It actually runs everywhere,
but it's not advertised much. Certainly not a bad horse to bet on.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Tuinbouwstraat 180, 1097 ZB Amsterdam, Nederland

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net