[LAU] Why is Jack so slow?

worik root at worik.org
Wed Aug 4 07:13:56 CEST 2021

Friends

I have a Raspberry PI with a PI Sound board.  Wanting to use modep
(https://blokas.io/modep/) live I have hacked a pedal together and can
change settings with it.

modep is a gnarly ball of python and tomahawk (sp?) that I do not need
so I have stripped down the actions the pedal needs to do to eight Jack
operations: disconnect the left and right output  and input, and
reconnect them in a different way to affect an effect change.

I have written a small rust programme with the jack crate to interface
with Jack.  Four disconnects, four connects.

It takes over 200ms of system time, optimised rust.  Two hundred
milliseconds is a long time.

Can anybody tell me why?  Is there a solution?

I am hoping to get it down to ten milliseconds.

Worik

--
    If not me then who?  If not now then when?  If not here then where?
              So, here I stand, I can do no other