[LAU] Lenovo T15, JACK audio is distorted

Chris Caudle 6807.chris at pop.powweb.com
Thu Aug 12 17:18:10 CEST 2021

On Thu, August 12, 2021 8:12 am, Fero Kiraly wrote:
> I've recently bought a new laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen 1 and I am
> stuck
> in running jackaudio server on internal soundcard.
>
> - pulseaudio works (without jack)
> - external soundcard with jackd works
> - when I run jackd on internal soundcard, everything look good (jackd is
> started, log looks normally, patch graph in Claudia looks good, pulseaudio
> to jack works (e.g. youtube videos had sound..), but when I run for
> example
> mpv, or supercollider, the sound is heavily distorted. )

This was discussed recently in Ardour forums.  Some internal sound
interfaces are not detected correctly, and they seem to be capable of
using 24 bit or 32 bit audio words, but only work correctly with 16 bit
audio words.
You can use the --short argument to jackd to force it to try 16 bit first.

Also verify in the jackd output that it starts at the sample rate you
expect, some internal sound interfaces only run at 48kHz, and if you
attempt to start jackd using 44.1kHz sample rate it will fall back to
48kHz.

--
Chris Caudle