[LAU] KX Studio Carla - which version or how to install

adam ahcnz at orcon.net.nz
Wed Feb 10 17:22:10 CET 2021

I'm looking for clear install instructions for Carla, with its Win VST bridge.

Tracktion Waveform comes with few instrumental sounds (only "Collective", I believe) so I
hope to use KXStudio's Carla to enable the use of Win VST instruments.

Waveform 11.1 on Ubuntu 18.04 64bit, my CPU is Intel i5.

Here a demo of Carla running a Win VST or plugin, is quite persuasive,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiaWozQ69eE

On installing Carla on Ubuntu, one query and recommendation is here,
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1035116/cannot-install-carla-on-ubuntu-18-04

KXStudio says first enable its repositories. So I've done that,
https://kx.studio/Repositories

Carla pre-compiled binaries and zipped source code to compile, are here,
https://kx.studio/Applications:Carla

Carla github install.md is here, perhaps this can make and install everything,
https://github.com/falkTX/Carla/blob/master/INSTALL.md

But here is what I don't understand, the 4 Carla variants listed;
carla, carla-bridge-win, carla-git, carla-vst-wine
https://kx.studio/Repositories:Applications

Presently it looks like 'sudo apt install carla-git' is the 1st to try.