[LAU] DAWs and licensing Was: Symphony of love illusive

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sun Feb 14 17:58:18 CET 2021

Christopher Arndt <chris at chrisarndt.de> writes:

> Am 14.02.21 um 09:01 schrieb Sam Kuper:
>> I no longer think the licensing model can be separated from the
>> usefulness of the tool.
> I fully agree with this sentiment and the things you said afterwards.
>
> Licensing choice isn't just a different flavour or colour of software.
> Conversely, choosing a closed license doesn't mean that you don't care
> about your product, but it does mean that you restrict the way it can be
> used, which, as you point out, makes it less useful (all other factors
> being the same).

It tends to make a difference whether your primary point of contact is
marketing or users.  Feature progress in a commercial setting does not
make it feasible to have the developers overexposed to people without a
view on marketability and possibly communicating in a manner that will
drop productivity for days.

--
David Kastrup