[LAU] DAWs and licensing Was: Symphony of love illusive

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 23:49:07 CET 2021

Sure. But this is rare. And FLOSS absolutely doesn't guarantee that this
will not be the case when software is abandoned. Sure, in theory someone
can pick it up. In theory. In practice, most software that gets abandoned -
gets abandoned for good.

I can bring up many examples in Linux Audio alone: Rezound, Kluppe,
HarmonySEQ. I begged for someone to pick up Kluppe, but it never happened.

And, as a user, I don't care that "in theory the license allows someone to
pick it up". I am interested in an environment when I can get my hands on
working software. And FLOSS environment doesn't guarantee that. And there
was nothing to replace Rezound or Kluppe, and to this day both projects are
abandoned. And with the technology moving on, I am not sure that picking
them up is even a good idea today.

Louigi Verona
https://louigiverona.com/