[LAU] [Music] Symphony of love illusive

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Sat Feb 20 00:31:09 CET 2021

Hi Chris,
first of all, thanks for listening and commenting so nicely!
Feb 20 2021, Chris Caudle has written:
> Does that mean there was no playing in the traditional sense, you did
> not play in the parts with a keyboard?
I did play the parts on a keyboard. I used the MIDI sequencer to
quantise (to a certain extent) or sometimes slow down the tempo so I
could play certain sections at all or more accurately.
> How were the swells and small dynamic changes in the notes created?
Some samples were recorded with small swells, like the cor anglais.
Otherwise it was dynamic playing or building up the volume through the
different instruments. Layers with the hardware synth may have helped
occasionally with the strings and brass.
> did you sequence aftertouch or
> some other MIDI command to add some dynamic movement in the notes?
I didn't record any MIDI controls. I don't think the library is set up
to deal with those.
> The impression of actual players is much better than a lot of synthesized
> orchestral music I have heard.
Thank you very much! Not that they run in Linux, but have you heard some
of the Spitfire libraries in action? I think the BBC core may run in
wine. It was - or maybe still is - free. Admittedly, usually their fully
fledged orchestral libraries cost hundreds of pounds, so a comparison is
not fair. :)

Best wishes and thanks again,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c