[LAU] [JACK] Can tempo be synced between hosts?

Francesco Napoleoni mlists at cosmic-odyssey.net
Sat Feb 20 12:08:55 CET 2021

Hi everyone

I’m experimenting with netjack (mainly version 1), and I’m quite impressed by
its ability to get different machines march together without (at least
apparently) hassle.

However I cannot find a way to transmit tempo changes from master machine to
slaves.

I’ll try to explain myself better: the “master machine” is a PC with a
soundcard, running JACK on a Linux Fedora OS, and is connected with the
“slaves” with a gigabit ethernet link. The “slaves” are currently two, but I
would like to expand this to a wider configuration, maybe with devices such as
Raspberry sharing the load of multiple synths, effects and so on.

The problem is that I can see the start/stop of the Jack transport synced
between the hosts, but not the tempo. This limits the use of applications
which do make use of tempo changes on slave hosts, forcing me to copy the
tempo map to them and run it in a DAW. As a side effect I can see the BBT
drifting between hosts (apparently its value is computed using the local tempo
mark).

Is there a way to solve this problem? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

cheers
Francesco Napoleoni