[LAU] [JACK] Can tempo be synced between hosts?

Francesco Napoleoni mlists at cosmic-odyssey.net
Sun Feb 21 12:52:20 CET 2021

> Forgive me if I am having a brain fart (and please understand that I am
> still just learning the ropes with audio on Linux), but why not:
>
> - have your primary machine send suitable MIDI signals (note on/off, CC,
>   patch change, etc; MIDI beat clock if you really need it; MIDI Song
>   Position Pointer if you really need it) to your synths or samplers
>   wherever they are, to get them to produce the right audio at the right
>   moment?

Hi Sam

yes, I also thought about using MIDI signals, this would be an alternative
solution. Anyway, what I asked for is a bit more specific: does JACK have an
internal mechanism to send tempo (and perhaps meter too) to clients over the
network? The answer was: NO (and probably is not going to have such a
mechanism in near future).

Still there are solutions to my problem, and I’m investigating which one(s)
could be optimal for my workflow.

At this point, you (and the list) are about to listen MY brain fart, :-) but
in a new post, which I hope can be the starting point of a good discussion.

ciao
Francesco Napoleoni