[LAU] [RFC] A “poor man’s”, yet professional level studio setup

Brandon Hale bthaleproductions at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 15:04:23 CET 2021

As someone who has worked with and was in the Linux Laptop Orchestra for
over 6 years, I had to bring this up: I wrote the software
infrastructure for Dan Tramte's
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WWrGLy7Z30>Woman Technologist Shifty
Eyes <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WWrGLy7Z30> and we used jack
transport over local Ethernet to sync video with xjadeo on that piece.
Believe it or not, it works! With the Linux Laptop Orchestra, there is a
main Ethernet switch that every computer plugs into, so if you go that
route I would definitely use one. Even a small one would help.

I can't say we ran into any major problems with doing jack transport
over the local network, and everything remained in sync. There is a big
however though: every laptop in the orchestra is the same model and has
the same components. So, maybe it wouldn't work so well if the computers
were all different models. I'm not sure. If you have any questions about
how that worked, definitely send me an email. I worked on and wrote my
own piece <https://youtu.be/s6-g1r1bqe8> for the Linux Laptop Orchestra
as well that synced the computers together using pd-l2ork. Reach out if
you have any questions on how the orchestra works!

Brandon Hale