[LAU] [RFC] A “poor man’s”, yet professional level studio setup

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Feb 23 17:02:12 CET 2021

lacuna_ at gmx.net writes:

> In my research on Linux audio laptop with high channel count, I
> decided to use a desktop with a RME HDSPe card.
>
> The only ways I can see, how it might be possible to get many hq i/o
> channels on a laptop:
>
> - The closed AVB-driver.
> - Older firmware version of Motu AVB is running at up to 48k.
> - Firewire, but Firewire is dead.

It is?  I am using it with my Thinkpad T420 (which has Firewire at its
back, admittedly after I spent about $10 for an assembly having a
Firewire connector rather than a phone modem socket) and the 18 channels
(16 in and Main Mix) of my Mackie Onyx 1620 mixer.

By the way: using an RME Multiface via an Pccard adapter in an
Expressbus-to-Pccard adapter is much lower in latency (about 2.5ms I
think rather than something akin to 10ms), never mind the adapter
stackup.

> - RME Madiface with missing Express Card slot on today's laptops.
> - Maybee a tunnel through Thunderbold with a Sonnet Echo Express (this
> works with Macbooks, but does Linux and Thunderbold?)

Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters are still around from Mac times.

> Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Probably not all too much.  I know that my gear is not exactly the
youngest.

--
David Kastrup