[LAU] AVB on Linux

Tue Jul 13 18:41:51 CEST 2021

On 7/13/21 8:20 AM, Brandon Hale wrote:
> Thanks so much for these links Fernando. I've played with the OpenAvnu
> repo about 2 years ago, but I couldn't get it working as I didn't know
> what I was doing. I'll try compiling it with the standard Linux network
> stack and see how far I get.
>
> I don't currently have a motu avb interface, but I do have access to an
> RME Digiface AVB <https://www.rme-usa.com/digiface-avb.html>. I'll look
> through those repositories, but I figure there's not much I can do with
> that interface on Linux as of yet. :(
>
> What interface do you use to get the 64 channels over usb?

There are several, at home I currently have an 8M and a 16A and I am
driving them through a patched kernel with the drumfix's driver (caveat:
the driver does NOT work with an RT patched kernel - something to do
with the number of interrupts generated and context switches - but it
works fine with a full preemption kernel with threadirqs disabled),
details in this thread:

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046&sid=5021bc427a7f0abd6b7a24c8aaef15d7&start=630

For a couple of our speaker arrays I have again used 16A and 8M mainly
as gateways into a larger array of Motus[*], but the 24ai and 24ao also
work. For these I am still running old firmware and the regular usb
driver in linux (newer Motu interfaces cannot be downgraded to old
enough firmware for the class compliant driver to work).

-- Fernando

[*] https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~nando/publications/stage_grail_2019.pdf