[LAU] anyone checked out new USB reduced latency patch?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Jun 7 17:29:00 CEST 2021

On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 05:11:57PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Does this help to reduce the random systemic latency of USB/ALSA devices?
>
> Currently with USB device there is up to the buffer size (but at most
> 20ms) additional I/O latency. The delay is different every time the
> device is started, or after an xrun occurs. It would be great if this
> doesn't need to be measured every time.

Is that roundtrip delay, or input/output separately ?

What is strange that since most audio devices use the same clock for
capture and playback there is no good reason why each of them should
be handled separately - for each N samples you get you need to send
N samples as well. But of course in USB there will be two separate
endpoints...

--
FA