[LAU] Hum pickup in DI boxes

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Tue Jun 8 14:43:55 CEST 2021

Headphone outputs are a strange beast.  Unbalanced, for sure (a single signal
lead for each channel, with a common ground return), but much lower impedance
than you would expect for an unbalanced line out.
   I've struggled as well, trying to find a consistently reliable DI for this
application.  There are several on the market which specifically address this
issue. Search for 'laptop interface' or 'A/V adapter' to find some of the ones
I've tried.
   I've also resorted on occasion to abandoning the headphone jack altogether,
and using an external USB soundcard/interface instead, which provides proper
balanced outputs.

Rick Green