[LAU] Multiple sound cards

Alf Haakon Pietruszka Lund alf at mellomrommet.no
Thu Jun 10 11:35:26 CEST 2021

Hello list!

I am on (K)Ubuntu Studio 20.04) and needed a couple of extra in- and
outputs, so I connected 2 USB audio interfaces to my computer (a
FocusRite Scarlett 2i4 and an Edirol UA-25ex - they're old, but reliable
devices).

Through Studio Controls I set the Scarlett as master device and started
Jack, then I experienced recording and playback with Ardour in (as far
as I can hear) perfect sync.

I was amazed at the ease of this setup and the problem-free routing of
audio signals, so just for testing I split a stereo source recording one
channel on each device to one stereo track in Ardour. To my ears, the
sync is still perfect.

However, from this article
https://jackaudio.org/faq/multiple_devices.html it seems I have to
expect sync problems over time unless I do some manual configuring using
the alsa_in and alsa_out clients.

Is this still valid?