[LAU] OT: Advice on Linux-compatible printers

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jun 23 09:39:48 CEST 2021

Good evening!

I have a Brother HL-L2300D. It claims to be able to do 600 or 1200dpi,
but all attempts at printing to it using those resolutions fail (the
printer light just blinks awhile but nothing prints). Other limitations
of the printer: the driver is 32-bit only and doesn't work on my 64-bit
system, even with 32-bit support installed. (Also, the Brother printer
drivers offered for it are ancient.)

Before this, we had a Canon photoprinter that worked fine but cost a
fortune in ink.

Before the Canon, we had an earlier Brother laser but it decided to leak
toner all over the interior of the printer.

The last working printer we had before that was an HP LJ4.

Are there any other options that actually work with modern Linux?

Thanks. I mostly work with scores and sorely miss being able to print them!

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."