[LAU] OT: Advice on Linux-compatible printers

Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.id.au
Wed Jun 23 10:56:33 CEST 2021

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 21:39:48 -1000
david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> Are there any other options that actually work with modern Linux?
>
> Thanks. I mostly work with scores and sorely miss being able to print them!

We have two printers here:

Epson WF-7510
Kyocera ECOSYS P5021cdn

The former works with Gutenprint, and for a while did an alright job,
although I note now I get noticeable staircasing in prints and it often
mis-picks pages.  We've had it for some time so maybe it's just this
printer showing its age.  A3 is a nice feature, but not something I
need every day.

The latter was bought to do the bulk of my printing since I got fed up
with the page mis-pick issue and the lack of duplex printing.

https://stuartl.longlandclan.id.au/blog/2021/06/09/setting-up-a-kyocera-ecosys-p5021cdn-in-cups/
are the steps I followed to set the thing up.  It was pretty
straightforward, and painless: figure out its IP address, grab the PPD
out of Arch Linux's git repository, feed that into CUPS.  Setting the
same printer up on a Windows 10 machine proved to be more of a
challenge: it seems to talk to Linux better than it does Windows.
(Thankfully I don't use that legacy OS.)

Apparently the Kyocera can be a bit expensive to run in terms of
consumables, but given the reduced hair-pulling when I *do* want to
print, I'm willing to spend a bit more.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...