[LAU] ssr and alternatives

Giso Grimm gg3137 at vegri.net
Tue Mar 2 08:31:15 CET 2021

On 26.02.21 16:31, Brandon Hale wrote:
> Thank you Giso, this might be exactly what I was looking for. I'll check
> the manual out and see if I have any questions to ask you.

Just a note as there is lots of decoder discussion: TASCAR has a C++
implementation of mode matching and ALLRAD methods for automatically
generating decoders, validated against ADT. In case of the ALLRAD method
there are minor differences because we use a different method of
creating regular (virtual) layouts.

TASCAR does not support NFC or dual-band decoding, thus you may argue
that is does not provide true Ambisonics decoding (we typically use
max-rE decoding for full bandwidth, and argue that NFC with limited
low-end performance of loudspeakers and sufficient loudspeaker distance
is just a wast of computational power). So in the end the HOA
implementation of TASCAR is actually quite close to VBAP. There is no
order limit hard-coded into the system.

TASCAR can also encode 3rd oder Ambisonics with FuMa normalization
without decoding (and also encode arbitrary order SN3D normalization)
which can be decoded with external decoders, e.g., ambdec.

For reproduction of (pseudo-)diffuse sounds we use first order
Ambisonics, with loudspeaker decorrelation to avoid strong comb filter
artifacts.

Best,

Giso