[LAU] Specifying sample format in ALSA

Iain Mott mott at escuta.org
Fri Mar 19 18:14:37 CET 2021

Hello,

I'm using Arch Linux (AArch64) for the first time on a Raspberry Pi 4. I
need to use HDMI sound and the first HDMI port on the pi is card 0. If I
try to use aplay to play a sound file it prints:

aplay: set_params:1343: Sample format non available
Available formats:
- IEC958_SUBFRAME_LE

I find that I can play audio through HDMI by specifying the sample
format. eg.

aplay -D iec958 mysound.wav

What I'm stuck with is trying to configure ALSA to make this
specification. I've tried the following in my ~/.asoundrc

pcm.!default {
         type plug
         slave {
               pcm "hw:0,0"
               format IEC958_SUBFRAME_LE
}
}

While this produces no Alsa syntax errors when I use aplay, it still
won't play the audio and prints:

Playing WAVE 'wav48k.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz,
Stereo
aplay: set_params:1343: Sample format non available
Available formats:
- IEC958_SUBFRAME_LE

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,