[LAU] Open Sound Control: Is it still a thing?

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Sun May 2 21:37:40 CEST 2021

Am Freitag, 30. April 2021, 23:10:32 CEST schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 10:17:01PM +0200, Winfried Ritsch wrote:
> > I always assumed OSC  1.0 can be used over any transport, mostly I use
> > TCP/IP, sometimes serial, so it would be good to know where this stated
> > to argue that and
> > why OSC 1.0 is only UDP ?
>
> The problem with any transport that is just a stream of bytes is that it
> complicates the OSC decoder. You have to feed it byte by byte, and it has
> to remember its state until it gets the next byte if the packet is not yet
> complete.
>
> Of course if there are pauses between packets you could be lucky and
> actually get complete packets from a TCP socket each time you read it
> with a timeout. But that's inherently fragile and you can't rely on it.

Thank Fons I agree with you ,
that is why there are OSC-Bundles with Timestamps, correcting the timing, at
least the jitter and if  using it for continuous streams mostly an index for
messages are included, in case something get lost,
Jitter is best described "Best Practices OSC" [1]

- best practices OSC http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2010/papers/37.pdf

And just to get sure, since I pretend  to teach it and want to spread no wrong
information:

Please disagree if you can reference:
- OSC 1.0 ist not only UPD
- OSC was not a intended to replace MIDI,
   but to use it in multidimensional musical  parameter transmission, like the
3D-Postion of a violin bow....
- OSC predecessor was ZIPI not MIDI

 see https://web.archive.org/web/20070609125702/http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/
ZIPI/
(see: what next ?)

BTW.: There has been an interesting paper with critics to OSC from
Computermusic scientists:
- https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rbd/papers/o2-web.pdf

mfG
 winfried