[LAU] Open Sound Control: Is it still a thing?

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Mon May 3 21:05:47 CEST 2021

Am Montag, 3. Mai 2021, 02:48:21 CEST schrieb Marc Lavallée:
> Le 2021-05-02 à 15 h 37, Winfried Ritsch a écrit :
> > Please disagree if you can reference:
> > - OSC 1.0 ist not only UPD
>
> The liblo library and tools works with TCP (also UDP and Unix sockets):
> http://liblo.sourceforge.net/
>
> > - OSC was not a intended to replace MIDI,
> >
> >     but to use it in multidimensional musical  parameter transmission,
> >     like the
> >
> > 3D-Postion of a violin bow....
> > - OSC predecessor was ZIPI not MIDI
> >
> >   see
> >   https://web.archive.org/web/20070609125702/http://www.cnmat.berkeley.ed
> >   u/>
> > ZIPI/
> > (see: what next ?)
>
> The complete CMJ article :
> https://cnmat.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/attachments/1994_the_ZIPI_mus
> ic_parameter_description_language.pdf

Thanks for the reference, this helps.

> It's a bit like MIDI, where a lot is defined; despite being a domain
> specific protocol, MIDI is often used for non-musical use cases with
> note on/off or pitch bend messages... So when possible, using OSC can
> make a lot more sense.
>
> > BTW.: There has been an interesting paper with critics to OSC from
> > Computermusic scientists:
> > - https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rbd/papers/o2-web.pdf
>
> It's true that OSC does not have Zeroconf capabilities (like the popular
> NDI protocol for sharing video streams between applications); OSCQuery
> tries to fix that (and other issues):
> https://github.com/Vidvox/OSCQueryProposal
>
> As for OSC timestamps, it's possible to add them in the OSC messages, as
> an application specific feature, but it would add more latency. To avoid
> jitter, one possible hack would be to use lossy audio streams to
> transport control data (but it could be a bad idea).

Thats fine on one site, on the other NTP is not always "audio time" to
synchronize to Audio clock.

mfg winfried

BTW.: We kind of "miss-used" OSC for audio streams now Version 2.0:
- https://git.iem.at/cm/aoo and tested is within http://vrr.iem.at/
with still some issues, so we want move forward to V3.0, so this discussion is
welcome trying to implement in ESP32's.

> Marc

- ao.Univ.Prof. DI Winfried Ritsch
- ritsch at iem.at - http://iem.at/ritsch
- Institut fuer Elektronische Musik und Akustik
- University of Music and Dramatic Art Graz
- Tel. ++43-316-389-3510 (3170) Fax ++43-316-389-3171