[LAU] Open Sound Control: Is it still a thing?

robertlazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Mon May 3 22:18:14 CEST 2021

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 9:39 AM Winfried Ritsch <ritsch at iem.at> wrote:

> Am Montag, 3. Mai 2021, 11:48:07 CEST schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> > On Sun, May 02, 2021 at 09:37:40PM +0200, Winfried Ritsch wrote:
> > > Please disagree if you can reference:
> > > - OSC 1.0 ist not only UPD
> >
> On the other side, with the type tags, you know when a message is complete
> if
> you wait for number of bytes or the the type ends(, if no bytes got
> lost...)
> The problem of UDP: UDP applications must be willing to accept some packet
> loss or this has to be handled by the protocol implemented with OSC.
> and/or it
> should be a "stateless"  protocol.
> So if package loss is a problem, think of a mute action TCP/IP is more
> easy to
> handle, since we know when a connection is lost.
> So maybe its better to do stream parsing and a stream protocol than UDP
> and
> some handshake or failsave protocol, but of course this depends on the use
> case, so on a sound system critical mixer I prefer TCP/IP.

I wonder how much common libs have overcome those problems in practice -
for example in the gaming and high volume data applications I am aware of
they use the Aeron github lib that claims to be an ‘Efficient reliable UDP
unicast , UDP multicast, and IPC message transport’ .

Aeron encodes its messages in binary. The lib uses memory mapped files
stored in /dev/shm that are transferred over UDP. In my experience, I hit
several servers implementing Aeron very hard all day long and nothing gets
dropped under normal circumstances.

Yet for the OSC use cases that I have for live performances, I just need to
send a couple oscsend commands over a 5 minute period. I can't imagine
normal use cases being much different for the mixers that expose their
features with OSC messages defined in JSON.

Robert