[LAU] Audio-Video desktop recording

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Wed May 12 09:58:07 CEST 2021

Hi Will,

On 11/05/21 19:32, Will Godfrey wrote:
> About 8-9 years ago I attempted to record video and on-board sound along with
> an external microphone. There were two programs I tried, Record My Desktop,
> and (I think) Simple Screen Recorder.
> I couldn't get either of them to manage the microphone, and only one to include
> stereo audio - and even that was a struggle (can't remember which one).
>
> I'm wondering what the current situation is for the best possible prospect of
> doing this. I won't be using a camera, but want to be able to use a microphone
> for voiceover, so that of course would be mono.

I'd give simple screen recorder [1] another try.
I've used it in the last year - including for the yoshimi+Pd videos done
recently ;-) - and it's really straightforward. A big plus IMHO is that
it supports jack audio natively and the input _is_ stereo (however one
important thing to keep in mind is that the jack ports are created only
once you get to the last screen, so you should remember to do the
connections at that stage).
A nice feature is that you can also pause the take and assign keyboard
shortcuts to actions.

> Also I envisage doing this in comparatively short sections, then stitching
> them all together afterwards to make a seemingly continuous vid.

For video editing/cuts I use shotcut these days. Sometimes for more
'advanced' stuff I use kdeenlive.

Hope this helps.
Lorenzo.

[1] https://github.com/MaartenBaert/ssr