[LAU] can jackd or ardour be forced to use interleaved mode?

Chris Caudle 6807.chris at pop.powweb.com
Sat May 15 01:25:00 CEST 2021

> Ardour indeed tries SND_PCM_ACCESS_MMAP_NONINTERLEAVED
> first and falls back to SND_PCM_ACCESS_MMAP_INTERLEAVED (and
> SND_PCM_ACCESS_MMAP_COMPLEX) if the former fail.

So no simple explanation for why that failed.
Is there an environment variable or command line option to give to cause
verbose backend debug information to be printed?

This is the network audio driver from Merging, running in AES67 mode, to a
device which only supports 48 sample frames in AES67 mode, so will
probably be a challenging configuration no matter what.  I believe the
Windows equivalent drivers have additional buffering so that on the user
space side the applications can use larger buffers, and the kernel driver
breaks the larger application buffer down to the smaller network buffers.
That would be useful for this driver as well, but first step would be to
at least get Ardour running at all, even if with xruns.  The driver does
work with aplay and mpd, so non-pro type apps are working, but not Ardour
or jackd.
I will gather more debug output this weekend, maybe something will give an
indication why the fallback to interleaved is not working.

--
Chris Caudle