[LAU] short audio drop out when new jack clients are created and connected

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Nov 10 00:20:13 CET 2021

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 2:48 PM Peter P. <peterparker at fastmail.com> wrote:

> * Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> [2021-11-09 19:18]:
> > On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 9:41 AM Peter P. <peterparker at fastmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks Paul, indeed I am using JACK1. Largely because I remember
> > > having had some problems / incompatibilities with JACK2 in the past.
> >
> > Then this is one of the "costs" of using JACK1 (and was one of the
> > major motivations for JACK2)
>
> Do you see any advantages of JACK1 still? Thanks!

Well for me personally the fact that I wrote (a lot of) it seems sort
of important :)

The integration of a2jmidid is probably one the better features of
JACK1 over JACK2. The integration of zita_a2j/j2a is also a big plus
but alas, I did not keep it up to date with Fons' own code, and the
version inside JACK1 is markedly inferior. As a result I'm still
running zita_a2j despite the possibility of using the integrated
version.

JACK1 is just "more right" than JACK2, but JACK2 has features that
lots of people think they want: integration with dBus, parallelism
when the data flow permits it. click-free connections.