[LAU] Electiric wind instrument on linux

A. P. Garcia a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:36:43 CEST 2021

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 7:55 PM M.R.P. zensky <wintermute24x7 at icloud.com> wrote:

> Hello I have a Yamaha WX5 midi wind controller and a steinberg UR22C. Runnng Ubuntu Linux. It  recognizes the steinberg but I am new to pro music and am wondering what is the simplest way to be able to hear the instrument. Someone hhtold me that I need to use virtual instruments for this instrument. Is it neccessary to install a daw in order to install the virtual instruments? Again I am new so anyone that can explain to me  how to just
> Hear the instrument would be great.

That controller will really shine with physical modeling software,
such as that from SWAM. Any of their wind instruments will sound
amazing: https://audiomodeling.com/swam-engine/

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any free software like this. But you
can run SWAM instruments on Linux:
https://support.audiomodeling.com/guides/How_to_run_a_Audio_Modeling_SWAM_VSTi_on_Linux_v1.1.pdf

There are also some rare hardware synths that work similarly, such as
the Yamaha VL-1, but that is a $3,000 synth if you can find one.