[LAU] New Music

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Sat Sep 11 23:53:28 CEST 2021

Over in KVR I used to be a regular contributor to the Music Cafe Contest, but
that has really thinned out as other things got in the way.

However after more than a year, I've finally managed to come up with something
new again, and thought folks here might be interested in how I went about it.

The track is named Pensive and is downloadable from Kara Moon here:

http://www.kara-moon.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8697.0;attach=7338

Anyway, here goes.
It's all Yoshimi, of course.
I started out with an improvisation across two keyboards feeding into
Rosegarden on tracks 1 and 2. From there, as well as recording MIDI, it passed
on to Yoshimi. In the past, I would have run with a single keyboard with
Yoshimi set up as a split keyboard, but that's much less comfortable and not
improv friendly.

With the melody and backing laid down, I then spent some time with minor edits,
and a range of voicing selections, ending up with 'Solo' for the melody, and
'Multi-Rushes' for the backing.

Multi-Rushes has a lot of 'movement' built in, but I went further with it, and
MIDI learned both filter Q and filter CutOff to the MOD wheel, setting a block
on it acting as normal. I then set the control range to run between 50% and 75%
for a more subtle effect, and recorded this as MOD wheel to Rosegarden,
operating the control to get the swells as and when I wanted them.

For the bass, I then directed one of the keyboards to channel 3 and played
along to the rest. I actually set this an octave high for the recording - it's
much easer to be sure you're hitting the right notes! The patch is 'Simple Bass'

After that, it was just a matter of dropping the bass an octave, and a few
cleanups before making an audio recording.

I hope you like the result.

--
Will J Godfrey
https://willgodfrey.bandcamp.com/