[LAU] live with keyboard

Gerhard Zintel gerhard.zintel at web.de
Fri Sep 17 20:35:56 CEST 2021

Hi Gerhard,

On 17/09/2021 18:16, Gerhard Wolfstieg wrote:
> I wish to find the best way to play live on a MIDI keyboard with
> softsynths and plugins in my linux notebook (avlinux or debian – or
> another if someone knows a better one for this purpose) with a good USB
> audio interface (komplete audio 6, which is running very well with jack1
> (possibly changing to jack2))
>
> Mostly I have to be able to switch between preconfigured sets of sounds
> quickest and easy.

had the same problem to solve this year to switch between different presets
using Pianoteq and setBfree as softsynths. After some testing I stuck with
MidiLayer. Unfortunately it seems to be abandoned and it does not work together
with Jack's MIDI ports so I have to use virmidi to create virtual midi
"hardware" ports to be able to connect Jack's ports to MidiLayer.

I compiled latest MidiLayer version from SourceForge without big problems (using
Mint BTW). You can send Program Change messages to ML and decide freely about
keyboard splits, note transpositions, which of up to 4 midi input streams goes
to which softsynth and which Program Change messages are to be send to the
individual softsynths.

 From the Readme:
MidiLayer is a simple and easy to use application designed to enhance your live
performances.
Manage slots and channels, adjust the velocity and the volume, customize the
note range and connect with modulation wheels and other types of controllers,
all with the help of MidiLayer.

For sending the Program Change messages I created a small hardware device with
an Arduino like micro controller, push buttons and LCD display. This way, after
setting up all the programs by bash script I can close the lid of the laptop
during live performance. Any MIDI controller will be able to perform the same
task though.

I furthermore use jmess and jack_connect to create all the necessary conections
in qjackctl.

Feel free to ask further questions if you decide to try that route.
Gerhard