[LAU] LV2 stand-alone host with ALSA midi?

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 17:38:16 CET 2022

Hi Harry

On 11/12/2022 14:52, Harry van Haaren wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 1:28 PM Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
> <mailto:lorenzofsutton at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi LAU,
>

> Hi Lorenzo,
>
>     Is there some stand-alone host (e.g. like jalv) which supports ALSA
>     midi
>     out of the box?
>

> Any reason that using Jalv with "a2jmidid"
> (https://github.com/jackaudio/a2jmidid
> <https://github.com/jackaudio/a2jmidid>) isn't a good/working solution?
> Sorry its not answering your direct question!

That's what I use in situations where only jack-midi is available. I
guess the reason to prefer alsa-midi directly is for direct connection
and not having to start a2jmidid, so not strictly a technical reason.

I was just wondering if anything which supported alsa-midi 'out of the
box' existed given that there are a couple of major Linux sequencers as
well as Pd that only support alsa-midi.

> I guess adding ALSA Midi/Seq IO to Jalv wouldn't be huge work - but
> there'd need to be some technical reason
> that using a2jmidid isn't a good solution..?

I imagined so and understand the overhead of supporting both, so your
answer is appreciated :-)

I guess probably a solution to make the use of instrument LV2s a bit
more straightforward would be to automate launching a2jmidid and then
maybe some helper script for jalv together with lv2ls and lv2info (like
a simple python/Tk something...)

Lorenzo