[LAU] [music] Let's dance (on four): disco funk with romantic piano

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Sun Feb 20 17:55:45 CET 2022

Hey hey,
I'd like to present let's dance (on four):
https://youtu.be/mXjZJasO00M
OGG version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3l8fy0zy5y1nq8/lets_dance-on_four.ogg

This piece takes many inspirations in style and melodies, though it is not a
cover of anything. The style is taken from 70s disco funk as played by the
Munich Music Machine, a collecitve who cover classical pieces in their style.
The piano theme is inspired by late romantic piano compositions. There are
actually two small quotations from radio jingles of old (until early/mid 90s)
from the public German radio station WDR4, which explains the title.

Technically, LinuxSampler brings us the grand piano and the electric ones
(both Rhodes and Wurlitzer) as well as the drums. The drum kit was especially
assembled for this tune. The bass is courtesey of Fluidsynth and the naturally
decaying bass soundfont. Yoshimi perfectly shines as a string machine. Both
arpeggios and lead synths are hardware, the Behringer Neutron and Aruturia
MiniBrute 2s.

In terms of plugins, I had to discover a few new ones and find new uses for
old horses to achieve that distinct 70s sound. Even with good raw material it
took quite a bit of processing to approximate the sound to the best of my
abilities. Judge for yourself...

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c