[LAU] [music] Dancing with a ghost (3D disco)

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Sun Jan 23 16:45:32 CET 2022

Hey hey,
Jeanette C & Benjamin Michael like to present: Dancing with a ghost
https://youtu.be/15q_FetgmCo
Direct OGG version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4c50ui1kn65cvq/dancing_with_a_ghost.ogg

This is a 3D mix, so best listened to on headphones.

Composition: Jeanette C.
Lyrics and vocals: Benjamin Michael & Jeanette C.
3D mixing and production: Jeanette C.
Saxophones and video: Benjamin Michael (Images courtesey of pixbarbay)

The song was recorded in the usual way. Tracks were processed in Nama with my
favourite LADSPA and LV2 plugins. Then every clean/source track and
reverb/delay send was loaded into Csound to place it in a virtual 3D space,
using HRTF (Head related transfer function) with a modelled room.

Unfortunately, the resultant mix is not as much 3D as I would have wanted to,
but it was a great learning experience and Benjamin's spirited contributions
breathed life and energy into the song. I ended up with more than 100 tracks
having to go through Csound.

First lessons: don't start that big! Place groups of sounds in a few
predetermined spots. Don't move too many sounds. Define a 3D sonic space
before hand and work out the interaction between artificial reverb effects and
the "natural" room reverb.

It was a hugely enjoyable project, challenges and all. Thanks to Benjamin for
his invaluable collaboration!

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c