[LAU] Connect pipewire to running JACK server

Tim termtech at rogers.com
Fri Jan 28 07:14:11 CET 2022

On 1/27/22 10:20 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 5:27 PM Tim <termtech at rogers.com
> <mailto:termtech at rogers.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/27/22 1:08 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>     Hiya Paul. Could you explain that a bit more?
>
>     Human exponential vs. linear, I don't quite understand.
>
> Let's suppose you are playing the simplest of beats, let's say you
> just play a note/tone at 120bpm. There's 0.5 seconds between your playing.
>
> To do a linear speedup, you would gradually reduce the time between
> notes, maybe like this: 0.5, 0.45, 0.40, 0.35, 0.30 and so on
>
> Problem is, it turns out that humans (even the musical among us) are
> not very good at all at measuring absolute time. What we are good at
> is measuring relative time, and so what actually happens is that we
> decrease (or increase) the "time per note" by a constant *factor*.
> Let's say the factor is 0.1. So now, the first note of our nominal
> accelarando is 0.45 long, but the next one is 0.405 then 0.3645 then
> 0.3285 and so forth. This forms a natural exponential progression.
>
> Put a different way, human performers do not speed up or slow down by
> a constant amount per beat of an accelerando or decelerando, they
> speed up or slow down by a constant ratio.
>
> This behavior has been noted in several research papers on human
> musical performance, and it is very, very difficult for most humans to
> do anything else.
>
>     And can you remember which types of, or specific, plugins would
>     fail, and why? I'd like to investigate.
>

> Alas, I have no specific info on this. x42/robin gareus might know
> more. Not many plugins care about the tempo map. The ones that do have
> a lot of potential for screwing up if they come with some baked in
> idea of "this is what accelerando sounds like".

OK cool thanks. Yeah I thought it might be something like that, a
natural tempo factor per unit time.

I'm sure there must be specific written or recorded exceptions though.

Ironic: Right now I'm helping with a user's problem with a midi file
song, "Hallelujah", which actually

  has a _linear_ tempo ramp-down at song end.

I'm not so concerned with plugins, just basic time-line tempo and
signature mirroring between apps.

Although, you once warned me that different apps or plugins will have
different ideas about it.

 From both our perspectives we enjoy the monolithic way, with our DAWs.
I read you say a few years ago

  that you now tend to prefer that. Well of course, given Ardour has had
midi for a while now ;-)

So it may be a moot feature these days, for any serious musical work.
Unless one prefers modular projects?

But before Ardour had midi, I longed for the day when our two apps could
sit side-by-side and share a time-line.

T.