[LAU] Multichannel analog I/O audio interface: experiences and tips

Michael Zoet Michael.Zoet at zoet.de
Mon Jun 13 17:24:24 CEST 2022

Am 12.06.22 um 22:57 schrieb Jeanette C.:
> Hey hey,
> my two old Delta 1010 cards are definitely dying now. So I need
> replacement for all those analog I/Os. I have found three candidates:
> Behringer X Air XR18, Presonus ARC16C and Tascam u16x08(?) and would
> be glad if anyone could share experiences with them under Linux. I'm
> also looking for further alternatives (see my minimum requirements
> below). I definitely need multichannel audio coming from the device.
>
> The Tascan appears to have many microphone inputs, which cannot serve
> for line level input, if that really is so, it's out.
>
> The Behringer requires the app, which I have not been able to test,
> but its accessibility is not that important, if the XR18 will remember
> settings across power cycles.

I have the XR18 for some years now and I am really happy with it. The
things that Christopher mentioned in his post for the MR18 are also true
for the XR18. You need the app up and running to unmute the device. But
the app works very well on my Debian 10 machine. The app covers
everything the XR18 can do and is really useful. At least you want to
have the mute button accessible in case something went wrong ;-).

I do not know if the preamps from the XR18 are not that good as for the
MR18 but for me they sound very good. (But I am not a professional
musician. Just a guitar player that makes music for fun as a hobby. So
my ears might be not that good that I would hear the difference.)

For my Linux setup I use of course Jack then mostly Tuxguitar, Musecore
and Ardour. And sometimes other programs that you can install on a Linux
system. For analogue connections I have of course various guitars in
various setups plugged (modellers and cab simulations) to the XR18 and
never had a problem. I also have a Roland Synthesizer and a Roland
MC-101 and to MIDI Keyboards. Everything works well and without any
problems with the XR18.

Before the XR18 I had the UMC1820 with the Behringer ADAT device. Both
worked very well for me on the same Debian 10 system for a long time. I
changed to the XR18 because I wanted to have an app to control the sound
card easily via mouse and monitor.

Hope this helps you somehow,

Michael