[LAU] Multichannel analog I/O audio interface: experiences and tips

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Jun 14 19:21:35 CEST 2022

"Peter P." <peterparker at fastmail.com> writes:

> Philippe,
>
> * Philippe Bekaert <linux at panokkel.be> [2022-06-14 18:43]:
> [...]
>> I’m personally quite fund of their (current range of) pcie cards on Linux
> Thanks for mentioning these. Indeed excellent cards it seems. Forgot to
> mention that in my case (lots of live work) I need a laptop card.
>
> [...]
>> People looking into entering the world of ip audio, in particular
>> Dante or avb, will appreciate their convertor boxes, esp. to
>> madi. 0,7 msecs additional latency only.
> The last time I recherched, there was no usable (non-Motu)
> class-compliant Dante or AVB card for Linux laptops. Does anyone know if
> this has changed?

It's sort of embarrassing but the Hammerfall DSP cards work with either
the Expresscard adapter or an Expresscard-to-Cardbus adapter (the latter
_has_ to map the PCI express lane of the Expresscard slot, not the USB
lane) with the old Cardbus adapter.  It's ancient technology with 8
line-in/line-out connectors and quite robust ADAT support, but in terms
of the quality and latency of the available connections and driver
support, it's still unprecedented.

The Expresscard-to-Cardbus adapter solution is not overly convincing
mechanically.  And you need to dig up the firmware for 64bit versions of
Linux (no idea where I got my .deb from when I needed to upgrade).

And of course, Expresscard slots are a dying breed as well.

--
David Kastrup