[LAU] Multichannel analog I/O audio interface: experiences and tips

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Jun 14 22:41:38 CEST 2022

"Chris Caudle" <6807.chris at pop.powweb.com> writes:

> On Tue, June 14, 2022 1:04 pm, Philippe Bekaert wrote:
>> Dante: merging technologies has an open source software aes67 driver for
>> Linux. However, the user space configuration tool is closed source.
>
> Merging developers do not keep the driver up to date with changing kernel
> requirements.  The Merging driver does not compile with the last year or
> more of kernel versions, but Andrea Bondavalli has created some patches
> which allow the driver to build with the latest kernels, as well as a GPL
> user space daemon to replace the closed source Merging tool.
>
> https://github.com/bondagit/
>
> If you download the AES67 daemon project it will download and build the
> patched ravenna-alsa-driver into the "3rd party" subdirectory.

Sort of annoying, given that Linux has been around for 30 years or so,
powers _all_ of the top 100 supercomputers (last time I looked) and is
the most installed kernel in the world (Android uses it).  Still, nobody
feels there is a point in supporting it.  Well ok, Intel GPU support
tends to be comparatively useful.  And the class-compliant part of
class-compliant devices tends to work.

But somehow that's not all too different from the state 20 years ago.

--
David Kastrup