[LAU] USB Compliant MIDI

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Jun 16 00:04:23 CEST 2022

On June 15, 2022 11:52:17 AM HST, Bob van der Poel <bob at mellowood.ca> wrote:
> I'm looking at the Casio WK 6600 keyboard and see that the old fashioned
> MIDI connectors are replaced with a USB - B connector. Can anyone answer:
>
> 1. These connections are okay to connect my linux desktop computer to the
> keyboard using a standard USB A-B cable?

Yes.

>  2. How long can the MIDI cable be? I suppose if it's too short I could
> always insert an extension cable?

I don't know if there's a length limit. I think if the keyboard's in the same room as the computer, I don't think cables will be long enough to matter.

> 3. Could I use a real MIDI cable from the computer and convert that to USB?

If the keyboard doesn't *have* a MIDI port, why bother? My USB<>MIDI adaptor is powered via USB, so I think it might have to be plugged into the computer's USB, not the keyboard's USB.

---
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
exploring the landscape of god
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.