[LAU] Multichannel analog I/O audio interface: experiences and tips

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Jun 16 15:54:34 CEST 2022

Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 02:24:13PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> You could call it a perversion of Donald Knuth's concept of "Literate
>> Programming" which presents a program as an essay, with the program code
>> embedded into the overarching documentation in a cohesive order.
>
> I read his book ages ago (and still have a copy), but I don't agree
> with all of it.

Well, it would be kind of unrealistic to expect a trailblazer to find
the best of all possible trajectories.  I am perfectly willing to credit
a large contribution to the state of art without feeling the need to
call it perfect.

It's just depressing that quite a few future implementations/concepts in
its wake are actually regressions in major respects.

Knuth was willing to do what it takes to make his concept and tools work
for a particular program/implementation.  Of course that makes a
difference and makes for a good proof of concept.

How the like of doxygen are employed in the field is partly more a
counterproof of concept.  Either way not all of the blame or praise
rests with the tool but rather the user's determination to actually make
it work for its purpose.

--
David Kastrup