[LAU] Optical microphone sees sound like never before

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Jun 23 07:45:12 CEST 2022

On 6/22/22 10:57, David Kastrup wrote:
> "David W. Jones"<gnome at hawaii.rr.com>  writes:
>
>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/06/220622101415.htm
>>
>> If sound can be seen optically, can it be generated optically? Say, to
>> go with a hologram?
> I was of the opinion that laser-based interferometry microphoning off
> window panes had already been standard fare of secret services for
> decades.  I don't think you really want to use the kind of lasers that
> successfully push surfaces around.
>
> Plasma speakers<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_speaker>  are
> enough of a high-energy ickiness.

Yah, I thought that a laser able to generate sound would be a bit too
strong to use around people.

Plasma speakers. Fascinating. Is there a connection between the volume
of the plasma and the frequency range it can produce? Such as, needing a
bigger box of plasma to produce bass frequencies?

I think my favorite sound-producer is still a pipe organ in a cathedral. :)

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."