[LAU] seeking a creative songwriting solution.

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Tue May 17 18:36:22 CEST 2022

Hi Chris,
will attempt to  answer your questions,  as respectfully as possible.

On Tue, 17 May 2022, Chris Caudle wrote:
> Karen,
> There seems to be some confusion about exactly what you would like (or at
> least I am a little confused), so perhaps some clarification can help.

Glad you are owning  your confusion at least. smiles.

> I am not sure what you mean by the term adaptive.  Do you have some sight
> impairment like Jeanette and need tools that can accomodate that, or do
> you just mean a tool that can adapt to your preferred work flow?

First, I do not know Jeanette personally but feel sure her life experience
is
  unique.  there are hundreds of millions of individuals using adaptive
technology, some due to vision, some due to dexterity, some due to print
challenges etc.
All of them accommodate their bodies based on their individual needs since
a shared label does not a shared experience make.
My goal was not to make this a body discussion.
Still  as stated Linux is not ready for my body.  Lets hope that is enough
to satisfy your interest without my having to list in likely meaningless
detail to those here the shortcomings of the system for me personally.

>> How possible might it be to  use  your singing voice for composing?
>> what I mean is to sing the parts into your software of choice, then  using
>> that software to first add the orchestrations, playback etc., then produce
>> that music in printable form?
>
> What exactly do you want when you use the term composing?
> Of course you can use a multi-track recorder and layer harmonies with your
> voice.
Chris, I have been  singing professionally for several years.
Increasingly I am starting to write songs as well.  However as my voice is
my main instrument, and I desire other musicians to play what I write, I
desire getting those from my head and voice into a tool, use
instrumentation to fill in the gaps, and print the
results, tablaure  rotational or both, and hand that sheet to musicians.
Is that more clear?

> By the term add orchestrations, do you mean add additional instruments in
> addition to your vocal parts (which is of course possible with multi-track
> recording), or do you mean convert the vocal parts into other
> instrumentation?
  see above. do you now of a  many track recorder able to print the results
sung into that recorder?

> Do you want to convert to MIDI data to drive synthesizers or samplers to
> mimic traditional orchestration?

Not unless I have no other way.  I am not overly fond of   the midi stuff
I have heard.
I prefer to  set the basics with my voice  alone, use  instrumentation
options to fill in the orchestrations, and print from there.

  And preferably convert to
conventional
> music notation as a final step?
I wish to skip the midi step leading to the conventional final product
for  performance / recording with live musicians.

> Depending on what workflow you would like, I suspect that pitch-to-MIDI
> may be the term you are looking for.  That would involve recording a vocal
> part, sending to pitch-to-MIDI to convert to MIDI data, then editing that
> data to correct any errors in transcription, shift up or down by octaves
> to account for differences between vocal range and instrument range, add
> details which are difficult to sing, etc.
Hmm, you may understand the essence of my goal at least.
Why would midi be needful, and if so do you know of pitch to midi programs
I can investigate?
Will be researching the term myself, so thanks.

Kare