[LAU] Behringer UMC1820 experiences and sync settings?

Jannis Achstetter jannis_achstetter at web.de
Mon May 30 23:12:46 CEST 2022

Am 30.05.22 um 22:50 schrieb Peter P.:
> Jannis,
> Thank you, this looks like a nice interface indeed, and buying it second
> hand sounds like a viable route. It seems that a mix of all outputs is
> being sent to the phones output at the front[1]. Is it channels one and two? Since you
> mention that it is not class compliant but "supported", does this device
> have specific alsa drivers?

Yes, this device has a specific ALSA driver:
https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Matrix:Module-ua101
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/sound/usb/misc/ua101.c

Regarding the Monitor/Phones output: That's honestly a very good
question since I usually use outputs 1+2 only but have my speakers
connected to the Monitor ports so I can use the UA-101's hardware volume
knob to control the speaker volume.
When using it for live shows (FoH audio), I usually connect the mixing
desk's Monitor/PFL output to the inputs on the UA-101 and then the
Input/Output-Blending-Hardware-Knob is used to blend from PC audio
playback to Mixing Desk's signal (to headphones in that case).

I just did a short test and sent audio on outputs 3+4 as well and it was
also on the Monitor ports. With the proprietary Windows driver, there is
a mixer tool one can use to configure this routing and mute certain
inputs/outputs on the Monitor outputs but no one ever implemented that
for Linux. The device's alsamixer only shows one digital toggle
regarding MIDI.
So, theoretically you could configure the device's routing using Windows
once (to only have outs 1+2 on the monitor) and then use it on Linux. Or
someone implements the mixer part for Linux ;)

Not the best situation but sufficient for my needs.

>> The larger UA-1000 might even support coaxial SPDIF I/O, Wordclock and
>> ADAT. I never had one in my hands, unfortunately.
 >
> It seems like the UA-1000s ADAT output merely mirrors the 8 analogue
> outputs but does not provide more channels in addition sadly.

True, seen from the USB side of things, it's still a 10in+10out
interface, just with more flexible IOs.

One note on the UA-101 and "class compliant": I have two UA-101's here,
one is Cakewalk-branded, the other one is "Edirol"-branded. On the
Edirol one, one of the DIP-switches is labelled "Hi-Speed". This
actually turns it into a 2in+2out class-compliant interface. Maybe not
really an option but a nice feature anyways. Don't know if the
Cakewalk-branded one behaves the same and they just didn't label the
switch or if it's just not possible with that one.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/315020/Edirol-Ua-101.html?page=14

	Jannis