[LAU] Question about using old Yamaha expression pedal

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Sep 3 05:19:23 CEST 2022

On 8/31/22 23:21, Bill Purvis wrote:
> On 01/09/2022 09:57, david wrote:
>> On 8/31/22 22:31, Will Godfrey wrote:

>>> For this sort of thing, and testing leads, PSU polarity etc. a small
>>> cheap
>>> meter is invaluable. Takes all the guesswork out of it - so you see
>>> what you
>>> *actually* have, not what it says it has!
>>>

>> I have a meter. Will just have to figure out how to test this using it!
> David,
> crude ASCII sketch of typical TRS pedal:
> S    R    T
> |    |    |
> |    V    |
> WWWWWWWWWWW
>
> A RTS pedal simply re-labels R and T.
>
> Set the pedal mid-way, set meter to KOhms, measure resistance between
> sleeve and ring, sleeve and tip.
> You should find one if about half of the other (if a log pot it may be
> way off half, but at least less
> than.) The lower reading is the slider. Either way, the best way to
> test is to simply try it.
>
> Bill

Thanks, Bill.

Now I just need to track down a weighted, 88-key, MIDI controller with
aftertouch and an assortment of pitch bend wheels, knobs, sliders and pads.

I was going to get an Akai MPK-88 several years ago, but they're no
longer made, and Akai no longer offers anything with 88 keys.

Others on the list:

M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro

StudioLogic SL88 Studio USB MIDI controller

Arturia KeyLab 88 USB MIDI Keyboard

I'm not looking for a synthesizer keyboard with its own sounds.

Ideas?

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."