[LAU] niceness of Xorg regarding dropouts?

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 19:01:48 CET 2023

On 26/01/2023 11:09, Peter P. wrote:
> * Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> [2023-01-26 11:04]:

>>> Sounds like a good idea.
>>
>> I'm not so sure. If the audio processing is done in real-time
>> threads and these threads do not interact with X in any way
>> that could block them (as things should be), then this won't
>> help.
>>
>> The only way X could interrupt audio in that case is by having
>> real-time threads as well, and the nice value won't affect
>> those.
>
> Thanks Fons,
> I my case I am trying to optimize Pd, which has a GUI that is somehow
> interlocked with its audio thread.

Not specific to the subjet line but...

Is/are your patch(es) 'gui-heavy', which in Pd would be e.g. lots of
bangs or changing number-boxes? That in my experience has been cause of
audio drop-outs. Also make sure to run pd with the -rt flag and if you
are on a laptop make sure to disable WiFi.

Knowing more about the patch(es) is always very useful when trying to
debug Pd IMHO :-)

Lorenzo