[Consortium] Publicity etc...

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri Sep 17 08:23:57 EDT 2004

Hi Andrea,

> I don't know whether  Dynebolic already runs on  AMD64 boxes

From my limited experience I'd say most 32-bit binaries will run on
x86_64 CPUs with a little tweak here and there. What's potentially
more interesting is native 64-bit distributions, since unlike the
proprietary system vendors, we have source code for all the software
we use.

UserLinux is producing a native x86_64 version of Debian, so is Ubuntu
I believe. The x86_64 version of SUSE 9.1 Professional is very slick,
and there are variants of Fedora and Gentoo (but I haven't tried
those). What no-one has done so far, to my knowledge, is produce an
audio workstation distribution based on any of these. So we have the
native 64-bit distros on the one hand, and the audio-specific distros
on the other, but there's no crossover between the two yet.

Cheers

Daniel