[Consortium] problem about inclusion of Ubuntu (was: Linuxaudio.orgupdates)

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Tue Mar 21 10:48:51 EST 2006

Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 01:03:26PM -0500, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> > So, in short, Linuxaudio.org is alive and well. More importantly, it is
> my
> > pleasure to use this opportunity to announce our latest members:
> >
> > *Ubuntu Linux represented by Mark Shuttleworth
> >
> > *Ubuntu Studio project (ubuntustudio.com) represented by Dana Olson
>

> with full honesty, i feel the need to expose my regret in this
> inclusion without stating certain points and sharing our opinions about
> them.
>
> i have a problem with the assimilation role played by Ubuntu, which is
> buying with money the many efforts and the independence of GNU/Linux
> developers of today.
>
> so far, the discussions have been many about the topic, so i won't push
> further more arguments, just forward you an interesting situation that
> might describe well a core (so called upstream in the debian jargon)
> developer's point of view, in this case is Pippin from the Gimp , about
> what he calls "dysfunctional bounties"
> http://pippin.gimp.org/bounties/dysfunctional-bounties
>
> At last, I expect this consortium to play a role of fair redistribution
> of resources in case Ubuntu attains membership.
>
> thanks for your attention to such internal issues,
> still important to many of us.
>
> ciao

I am not sure how does this issue apply to the Ubuntu Studio project which
is simply a free wiki portal for audio enthusiasts who wish to use Ubuntu as
their platform of choice. Perhaps this was just a typo?

I do think that you raise a valid point regarding evaluation of the bounties
and their role in a libre environment. However, my belief is that such a
discussion will be much more effective if we focus on how Linuxaudio.org
will deal with its resources when (if?) the consortium becomes strong enough
to sponsor such activities.

Finally, in respect to resources, considering that we currently have none,
other than our own time which we choose to volunteer towards this cause, I
can assure you that our redistribution is as selfless and fair as it gets...

Ico