[Consortium] problem about inclusion of Ubuntu

ico ico at vt.edu
Mon Mar 27 13:43:41 EST 2006

> there is a common problem in the free software world at the moment and
> is that the distributions are in front, while the real developers of
> software (so called "upstream developers") are not.

As mentioned earlier, every legal project/individual/whatever that actively
contributes towards Linux audio scene, including "upstream developers," is
more than welcome to apply for a membership. Personally, I've never refused
anyone's membership to the consortium if their work was compatible with our
mission. More so, I've sent many invitations to the upstream
projects/developers I felt were worthy. What I cannot do, though, is force
anyone to become a member.

If you would like to help me with recruitment of the upstream
developers/projects, you are more than welcome to do so, as I could use any
help I can get...

> this doesn't makes it much sustainable for the people that is really
> developing software and i think this consortium should focus in filling
> some gaps instead of enforcing a merchandising that is already existing.

Merchandising, whether you like it or not, is an unavoidable aspect of our
mission if we wish to be successful in a society we live in. IMHO, it also
helps consortium gain credibility and consequently attract more of the
upstream developers/higher-profile projects/institutions/hw companies who may
be currently skeptical of our long-term prospects. Furthermore, all this
ultimately helps upstream projects as it helps link their product with the
end-user base. This should become especially important once (if?) we begin
supporting Linux audio artists as well.

> > You are more than welcome to make a call for a vote for/against the
> > inclusion of Ubuntu, or for anything else for that matter.
>
> do i have to fill a webform? :)
> that's all what it is about my intervention on this mailinglist.

I originally wanted to suggest making a separate thread for the sake of
clarity, call for a vote, and have everyone vote on it. However, this may not
help with the anonymity.

Alternately, we could generate a webpage where everyone could vote? I am
afraid, though, that doing so may take too much time as we need to be able to
link each vote with one member project/institution/whatever in order to ensure
that no one votes more than once, and for that we will have to have a more
involved framework.

Third option, which could be seen perhaps as a compromise, would be simply
having everyone e-mail director, mgmt. board chair (Dave) and possibly another
member (just in case you choose not to trust my or Dave's count (-: ),
directly off-list and then having us count the votes and report back to the
consortium.

Does anyone else have a better idea?

FWIW, *if* we vote the Ubuntu out, we will have to also consider doing so for
other existing members who fall into this category (which in and of itself
will be difficult to define as Mandriva, for instance, is for-profit company
while Ubuntu/Canonical isn't, etc.), as otherwise we will be projecting an
image of playing favorites which will subsequently warrant rewriting of the
consortium's mission, as well as result in locking-out of some of the
merchandising possibilities down the road (IMHO, this is a very slippery
slope). In addition, maintaining Ubuntu Studio membership will become
cumbersome as it will project a dubious message of supporting audio on a
distro that we appear not to be willing to endorse.

Ico