[Consortium] [LAD] linuxaudio.org

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Oct 27 12:09:59 EDT 2008

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>>> Ah yes, the fragmentation. _Hidden_ resources are great for Indiana
>>> Jones style explorers, I guess? ;)
>>> I would rather drop old material to have a chance of introducing
>>> something structured, where a newcomer would know where to start and had
>>> a chance of finding stuff without using a pit lamp.
>>>

>> Well, we won't delete anything ;) We can mark it as "outdated" (or move
>> it to legacy.linuxaudio.org) and encourage Mr Jones to tag/link
>> interesting resource there from the wiki. Content that's worth updating
>> can be refreshed or imported..
>>
> da, da,da, daaaa....
>
> Are these are the subdomains that you are referring to?
>
> http://lau.linuxaudio.org
> http://lowlatency.linuxaudio.org
> http://quicktoots.linuxaudio.org

Are you Mr. Jones junior or senior? ;)

> They are all linked to from the portal page and have fairly simple
> structures.

I think Thosten was not only referring to TOC article structure but also
to web-2.0 semantic structures, cross-referencing and finding information.

> lau.
>
> - This page was designed to be very simple and provide a non threatening
> or overwhelming way in for non technical uses or n00bs. If someone has
> suggestions for how to make it even easier for the target reader then
> please let me know. I'll see if I can find some time to add a more
> obvious link to linuxaudio.org throughout all the documents. Probably
> just add a new header/footer, parse the html before loading the page and
> dump it into a div. Can't be bothered reworking all the existing pages.

IMHO the lau front-page is just as helpful and confusing for newbies as
http://apps.linuxaudio.org/ - Instead of re-working existing pages they
could gradually be migrated into a wiki. (personally I like the
http://ubuntustudio.org/ website - but not ubuntu itself)

> lowlatency.
>
> - If anyone has a suggestion for making the lowlatency page more user
> friendly then please let me know. I'm more than happy to fine tune it.
> The last time anyone bothered to make a suggestion was at least two
> years ago. I guess that means the existing page either provides all the
> necessary information or else no one uses it. Probably the latter
> because the information has already been assimilated by several distro
> tutorials and wikis.

It's a very informative easily printable page that makes a nice read;
but I don't think a single page justifies for a virtual-host; besides
you should get it through http://validator.w3.org/ and adding a license
on how to reproduce lowlatency.linuxaudio.org would be nice. is this
public-domain? GFDL? CC?

In the long run the content could be maintained in a wiki (as long as
you continue to take input, you're be welcome to remain the sole
maintainer if you like). Other wiki-editors could supplement it with
distribution-specific information (back-linking to you) or you can
merge-in content. The current static page does not provide for pingbacks
or anything.

FWIW, we're planning to publish-subscribe rt.wiki.kernel.org
wiki.linuxmusicians.com and wiki.linuxaudio.org early 2009 - Federating
social networks is beyond the scope of this discussion; I'll gladly hook
you up if you're interested.

> I'll start a new thread to get a round up on the latest knowledge to be
> added to the page.
>
> One thing that might be useful is an rss feed with the latest updates.
> Not sure exactly how it should be managed though... It may also distract
> attention from the list/s which is where a lot of announcements are
> currently made.

Not distracting at all: The email lists shall remain central to
linuxaudio.org.
We think that we can and should do better, supporting the community with
web services and representation - having a common style among the
*.linuxaudio.org vhosts should not limited to web-design but extend to
collaboration techniques. Discussion here will provide content for the web.

It should be easy to copy/paste content over to eg.
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/lowlatency and 301 redirect
lowlatency.linuxaudio.org there. You'll get a RSS and Atom feed for free.

> quicktoots.
>
> - The basic design and layout of the quicktoots is not going to change
> anytime soon. However if someone wants to submit a new tutorial the
> space is always open. Of course if someone also wants to make a new skin
> then that would be nice too. It's easy to add code for several skins to
> be displayed randomly or otherwise.

I'd suggest to collaborate with http://flossmanuals.net/ and
http://www.digitalartistshandbook.org/

Thorsten is right in saying that we should not keep out-of-date
information and drop old material. We have more urgent issues on
linuxaudio.org than lau and quicktoots.

Cheers!
robin

PS. We're currently working on the LAC2009 site; due an announcement
later today. I've just updated apache/php/xcache and will be revisiting
apps, wiki and www with Holger and Burkhard. After this iteration we'll
make a call for designers. - please help out if you can.

The CSS theme and "printable-version" of the wiki may get fixed in the
next weeks until a redesign happens. If no one else does it: It'll be a
snowy weekend task for me in December.